It is really very annoying when you have some urgent printing work & your Epson printer not printing black as desired. Sometimes Epson printer not printing or Epson printer stops printing suddenly. this problem is not with only Epson printer but it could be the case with any printer due to some technical reasons. Suddenly printer users may face problems in printing. There can be several reasons behind this problem with the printer. Most of these problems can be easily fixed by you. Read this post to know more.
Epson printers are leading the global market with amazing performance and unmatched quality of prints. These printers are stylish and versatile for both personal and professional use and provide excellent quality of imaging and printing solutions to thousands of users. Despite delivering printouts of high quality, Epson printers have its own set of faults and flaws which emerge from time to time and irritate the users. printer not printing black issues need to be fixed at the right time to avoid further damage to your device. One such issue is the Epson printer won’t print black ink. This issue can arise due to a number of significant reasons listed in the write-up.
Causes of Epson Printer Not Printing Black
It’s a very common Error: you need to print something and your printer’s black ink has decided to take a permanent vacation. You go straight to Google and search for fixes to resolve this problem and run into several printer forums without a clear resolution. We’ve gotten calls on this issue as well so to help, we’ve put together a list of things you can do when your printer stops printing in black.
There are various reasons due to which you come across your printer unable to print type of problem. Let’s have a glimpse of the possible reasons your Epson printer not printing properly:
Some Basic Things To Start
- Due to improper set up of your Epson printer
- Printer not properly connected to the computer
- Your printer port settings may not match the printer connection port
- Epson printer is not your default printer
- Updated Epson printer driver is not installed
- Updated Windows of the device is not supporting printer’s drivers
- Issues with the firmware of your Epson printer driver
- Virus or malware attack
- Corrupt printer file
Factors That Lead to Epson Printer Won’t Print Black Ink
Usually, Epson printers have a built-in printhead of high quality. But if you are using your Epson printer for a long time, you must have replaced the original Epson printer head with a compatible one. This generally leads to an error and your printer is unable to print black ink. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter whether you are using an original or compatible Epson cartridge. A few nozzles of the print head gets blocked and the usual cleaning cycle fails to resolve the problem.
1. Turn off your printer, unplug from the power source and disconnect USB cables as well. After a few moments, reconnect your printer and plug it back in. Then, turn your printer back on.
2. Print a “Quality Diagnostic Report” or a “Print Test Page”.
You can usually find this option on your printer’s display screen. Or, check your printer’s user guide for step by step instructions.
4. Check printer ink levels to double check the ink volume in your cartridges. If you’re using aftermarket cartridges that don’t show ink levels, we’ll have to figure out another way to determine whether or not your ink cartridges are at fault.
It also happens because most people do not change the cartridges when they see that their printer is giving warnings on low ink. Instead, they opt to wait for the black color to run out. This empties the ink cartridges and your printer denies to continue the print job due to no ink in all of the nozzles. Very often, these empty nozzles get filled with air and effectively block the flow of ink.
Steps to Unclog Epson Printhead Errors in Your Printer
Epson printer heads are components made with precision. Thus, if it’s blocked, you can try the suggested methods to clean the printheads manually to fix printer error.
- Turn off your printer. Use Windex solution or distilled water in sponges and saturate these sponges to suck the excess ink on the printheads
- Try to unlock the lever by running a cleaning cycle in your printer. This will unlock the position of the printhead assembly of your printer and allow you to move it back and forth easily. Now, move the printhead assembly to the center of the printer. Gently push it towards the right.
- Again, saturate the sponge by using a syringe or an eyedropper and fill the sponge holder with either Windex solution or distilled water. Keep your printer in rest for around 15 minutes and turn it on
- Clean the printhead using towels and move the printhead assembly back to its resting position.
Did the above-mentioned steps fail to make a difference? Is your Epson printer not printing properly? Before searching your locality for an affordable Epson repair center, call us to avail quality support for your Epson printers. Our experts at Epson support are well-versed in handling these issues and they fix printer errors without taking it too hard on your pockets.
Check Your Ink Cartridge
1. Replace ink cartridges that are low on ink or empty.
2. Make sure ink cartridges are snapped into place and are properly installed in their appropriate slot.
3. Double check to make sure that you’ve removed the tape over the vent if you installed a new cartridge.
4. Check if the vents of the cartridges are clogged. You can fix this by gently using a pin to clean up the clog on the vent.
5. Try using a different ink cartridge to determine if your printer is able to recognize cartridges. If your printer used to work with an old cartridge, try installing that old cartridge again and see if your printer produces any sort of output–any shade of gray will do.
We just need to determine whether if it’s the cartridge or the printhead that’s causing problems. If your printer is able to print something with the old cartridge, then it’s not the printhead. Rather, your new black cartridge may be faulty and needs to be replaced.
Preventive Measures for Hassle-Free Printing Sessions with Epson Printers
There are several methods which you can try to help prevent clogged nozzles in your Epson printers. Follow some of the tips suggested by our experts to enhance the longevity of your device:
- Never run more than three cleaning cycles. After doing this, an excess amount of ink is being smeared over the printhead
- Turn off your printer after use to avoid “mini-cleaning cycle.”
- Print some pages at least once a week as it will keep the ink from drying out in the nozzles
- Try to use genuine cartridges for your Epson printer. If not available, always use the highest quality of compatible cartridges.
Epson xp-420 not printing black Windows 10
If you are a Windows user, here’s what you need to do:
- Turn on the printer and then access the printer software through your computer. Now, click on the ‘Utility’ tab and press the ‘Head Cleaning’ button.
- Carefully, follow the on-screen instructions to carry out this cleaning process. Make sure you do not turn off the Epson device in between.
- When the Power light starts flashing, go to the ‘Head Cleaning’ dialog box. Now, choose ‘Print Nozzle Check Pattern’.
This will let you clean the printhead and reset the cleaning cycle.
Printer Not Printing Mac
You can follow these instructions to perform automatic printhead cleaning on Mac devices:
- Switch on the printer and then visit the ‘Print Setup Dialog Box’. Now, click the ‘Utility’ icon and then press the ‘Head Cleaning’ button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the head cleaning. When the Power light stops flashing, click on the Confirmation button in the Head Cleaning dialog box.
This way, you can fix the issue when Epson WF-3640 not printing black due to clogged printhead.
You should opt for the manual cleaning alternative in case the automatic cleaning process does not produce any results. In general, manual cleaning is more efficient than the automatic process. Follow these instructions to manually wipe the printhead.
- First, turn off the printer and detach all cables and wires connected to it. Now, carefully remove the cartridge and the tray on which it sits.
- Beneath the tray, you will find the printhead. It will consist of 5 to 6 holes at the bottom.
- Now, take a towel or cloth and damp it slightly with distilled water.
- Thereafter, carefully remove all the debris of dried ink and the accumulated dust particle.
- Reinsert all the components once the cleaning procedure is complete.
You can easily follow this manual cleaning if Epson xp 430 not printing black.
Change the Printer Paper Settings
In case the error is not triggered by either the printhead or the cartridge, there could be any bugs in the program or the printer motor. Okay, you can solve the issue with a few quick changes in the printer’s paper settings.
You can adjust the settings of the printer driver to choose the choice for glossy photo-paper. It can encourage the printer to resume printing using the black ink. You will only do that, however, if the printer includes two types of black ink cartridges. It involves bottles made from ink and dye.
Also, the type of black ink that your Epson device will use depends on the paper that you select. With a little modification in the paper settings, you can solve the problems when Epson XP 430 not printing black ink.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Avail Effective Epson Printer Repair Services from +1-888-302-0939 for Instant Support!
If you are finding difficulty in dealing with the complex mechanism of your Epson printers, immediately place a Connect Epson Printer Setup Utility and grab immediate assistance from us. Our team of experts at Epsonsupport247 are highly skilled to unclog Epson printer head and resolve these issues within a specified time-limit. You can choose to send us emails regarding your printing issues and we will reply back with proper solutions as soon as possible. If you are tired of Epson printer not printing properly, feel free to chat with our executives via Live chat support or get remote assistance from our professionals at Epson Technical Support.
Is Your HP Printer Offline? Here Are 7 Easy Hacks To Fix